October 16, 2013

泥中蟠龍's Game愛歌 _ Ah! Com2uS

泥中蟠龍's Game愛歌
[A love song for games of the dragon waiting for an opportunity]
 
Ah! Com2uS
 

October.16.2013

I went to Busan International Film Festival recently. I had a chance to see a number of good movies and meet with Jummy Wang Yu, once a famous action star, as well. But I especially want to talk about a shocking news that I heard on Oct. 4. It was that Gamevil announced acquisition of Com2uS whose rival has competed with more than 10 years for first place in the mobile gaming industry.
The two firms are first generation mobile game companies established in 1998 and 2000 respectively and they have been business rivals and associates. It may be meaningless to give my opinion about the results and of the acquisition. Many articles already includes each predictions and I don't feel like mentioning about it.
I started working in mobile gaming areas in 2001. The two companies were my longtime role model. Screen color of cell phone was black and white when I entered the field. GVM, Go Version Manager, was used in a poor mobile game making environment where the total limited capacity for program, image files, and sound files was just 64KB in total, less than the average one page of Word. Reducing the size of the game was one of the best technology at the moment. Animation and design with 1-2 frames per every second couldn't contribute to making a game near perfect. Colorful images weren't allowed until production environment enabling 128KB game in 2002. Looking at character motion in games, I was thrilled in the presence of the environment where 4 frames per second was possible. There was even an advertising phrase 'A blockbuster game with over 1MB is coming.' when a game over 1MB of capacity was released for the first time. Considering color and capacity of mobile games nowadays, it seems as if ages had passed since then compared to only ten years ago.
I said too much about it because I feel very sad to say goodbye. I have seen Com2uS for more than 10 years waiting for a new work each time and I used to inform customer center by e-mail whenever I found bugs. I guess I have played Com2uS games more than 2000 hours at least. Of course, Com2uS won't disappear right away under new ownership. However, the company with newly renovated key executives won't what they used to be. It's definitely not the same one which made games I enjoyed playing, for example, Phone Go-Stop; in the bathroom, Pro Baseball; in the bus; and Bungeoppang Tycoon; before go to bed. I feel sad like a baseball fan who hear the news of his/her favorite baseball player's retirement.
I know I can't fix it. And the whole takeover process will go smoothly. There is only one thing that I expect is Com2uS, which impressed and entertained the users a lot, will not be faded into history.

※ This is from Kyunghyang Games column by 泥中蟠龍 since September 2013.
   (http://www.khgames.co.kr)

    Translation by Kim Ki-hui